What Wildbook should this feature be in? Seal Codex
What would you like to see?
- Set up a clear mechanism indicating “NOT A MATCH or “No Matches”
- Make the bounding box edge much much thinner so as not to obscure parts of the image
- Allow one to zoom in (enlarge) a potential match when reviewing.
- Please add “SANDBAR,” “FLOATING DOCK/ VESSEL,” and ‘”OCEAN BEACH.” to choices under within the WWFNORPPAGALLERIA section the entry for Observation Type
5.Try to capture lat/long data directly from EXIF
How would this functionality help you?
For 1 - somewhat self explanatory
for 2 - the bounding box obscures the image
…3. - the information content in enlarged images makes it easier to assess whether the matches are correct
4 - provides accuracy
5- easier workflow if images are geotagged
I have some clarifying questions about #4.
- Codex can be picky about certain characters used in the location field. For “floating dock/vessel” do you mind if we make this two entries (“floating dock” and “vessel”)?
- For “ocean beach” do we also need to include something like “river beach” to distinguish the type of beach we’re referring to? If not, my recommendation is to just use “beach” for simplicity’s sake.
We are currently planning on a rework of the match interface which will address 1 and 3.
Regarding #2: there are a number of ways to address the bounding box edge. So far, every person I’ve met with has had a different request (color, width, it should/shouldn’t be dashed, different color for species/part/terrain), which doesn’t seem feasible to accomplish short of allowing users to customize their bounding box on a per-image basis.
An alternative I’ve been kicking around is a toggle for the bounding box; you click it on and off. Partnered with the zoom controls, it seems like it could do the trick for the majority of requests around this. What are your thoughts?
Tanya, thanks for your response -
I’ve never had seals on vessels, but some might- so vessels, floating docks, and sand (instead of beach type) would be perfect. As to the bounding box, being able to toggle it on/off and zoom would be perfect.
I’ve added vessel, floating dock, and sand as observation options.
I don’t see those showing up in the choices
Thanks for letting me know! I’m not sure why they’re not appearing anymore. Give me a moment to add them back for you.
It looks like this might take more time to fix. I’m unable to save any changes made to this section and I need to figure out why.
Thanks for your patience. I’ve discussed this with our devs and learned that while the admin panel where I added the new observation types appeared to show the updated change, an error message was suppressed that would have notified me the change could not be saved in Codex.
On the backend, updates to this field are a complex operation. Codex doesn’t allow updates to a list of choices when some of those choices are already in use as a result.
I’m sorry about the churn on this one. That could potentially change with future updates to Codex. For now, ice, rock, and water are the only available choices for Observation Type.
You may want to consider using the notes section of the Sighting Details for your observation remarks in the meantime:
Anastasia, Thanks for trying. Hope it eventually changes.