Serval bulk import stuck in identification

What Wildbook are you working in? ACW

What is the entire URL out of the browser, exactly where the error occurred?Wildbook for Carnivores | Login

Can you describe what the issue is you’re experiencing?
A user has uploaded a batch of serval data to ACW and, while it completed detection, it appears to be stuck in the Identification process for 2+ days. I’ve sent the bulk import file to the services@ email address.

When I opened a few of the encounter records, I noticed that the zebra dropdown menu on the image in each gallery shows that the image is not able to be sent to matching, per this example:

Thanks for your assistance with this.


Hi @ACWadmin1

I’ll see about getting that import un-stuck. Sorry about the wait!

1 Like

This one seems to be done now. It was stuck behind a large queue.

Hi @Anastasia - unfortunately, it’s not resolved. There are still no match results for this bulk import and the encounters are still showing as “cannot start match”. I don’t think this is related to a long wait in the queue since with the animals annotated in the encounters, I should be able to “start match” but I cannot:

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for the update. I’m resending this import to identification to see if it will finally display the matches. I’ll keep an eye on this one to see if additional troubleshooting steps are needed.

Hi @Anastasia, thanks for trying but it doesn’t look like it’s working. I just checked the ACW metrics dashboard and it’s showing 0 jobs in the IA queue. I’m thinking this might be a config issue on the back end? The fact that the annotations are there but the system is showing “cannot start match” tells me that something is preventing these serval images from getting into the ID queue.

Thanks for following up. I’m working on figuring out if this issue is similar to one I’m seeing in IoT where the detector is applying the incorrect iaClass to the image (in the case of turtles, it’s trying to detect the body when the image only includes the face) or if it’s something else entirely. Thanks for your patience.

1 Like

Ok, these should all be matchable now. We’re not sure why they didn’t appear correctly before, but I got Jason’s help to make the annotations matchable.

Thanks very much. I kicked off matching on the bulk import just now. I’ll keep an eye on it. :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

HI @Anastasia - we’re still having issues with this batch. 20+hrs after sending the bulk import to ID, there wasn’t a single link to a match results page showing in the “Match results by class” column.

So I opened 2 randomly selected encounters in that batch and clicked on “Start match” from the dropdown in the gallery. Both of these are showing error messages on their match results pages:
Source encounter:
Match results page: Wildbook for Carnivores
Source encounter:
Match results: Wildbook for Carnivores



I also tried manually restarting matches on the first several encounters in the bulk import. While that finally added “serval” to the “Match results by class” column, the individual match results on the manually restarted encounters all give an “unknown error”, too.

I’m waiting to hear back from the team with a progress update.

1 Like

This is still being worked on. We were able to send to ID again last night and most of the encounters appear to have match results now, but we’re still working on the ones that are incomplete. Those still give unknown errors when starting a manual match.

We believe we’ve fixed the error and have re-sent the import to identification. I’m waiting for it to complete so I can check match results.

1 Like

Hi @Anastasia - whatever you folks did worked! I’m seeing match results for this bulk import now.

Thank you so much!!!


1 Like