Sharkbook Bulk upload issues - Ningaloo whale sharks

Hi,

We are trying to upload 25 test images and the related spreadsheet to use the bulk import facility to upload data for the Ningaloo whale sharks in Western Australia, but we are getting the following issues.

1. I browse to the image folder which is directly off my C: drive the upload window is populated with the images to upload, and the image names don’t have any special characters in them, as far as I can see.
  2. I click the upload button and the browser says the images are uploading.
  3. The browser then directs me to check that all the images I’ve selected are uploaded, but there are 0 images in the list. I tried this a few times on different networks, different browsers (firefox and microsoft edge and different laptops, with no success.
  4. I then tried to continue, thinking the images might have been uploaded anyway, so I uploaded the spreadsheet, but the database comes up with the message that a filename was found in the URL but couldn’t find the file itself.

Do I need any additional user rights to be able to run the bulk import process?

I’ve emailed the spreadsheet and pdf containing the screenshots of the errors to services@wildme.org.

Thanks for your help,

Kind regards,
Julian

Hi @juliant

This sounds similar to another issue I’ve been working on in Sharkbook (Bulk Import Sharkbook) and I suspect they are related.

I need more time to research this. I’ll let you know if I have follow-up questions or an update.

Thank you Anastasia, looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Julian

Hi Julian,

Are you familiar with using the Console Log in your browser? It’d be great if you can get a screenshot of any error messages that appear when you attempt to upload your images in the bulk import workflow.

If you’re not sure how to do this, we can do a Zoom call and I can take a screenshot while you screenshare your upload attempt.

Hi Anastasia,

Yes, I’ve uploaded a screenshot of the firefox console log, and there are some access denied messages in it.

Does this help? Is there anything else you’d like me to try?

Regards,
Julian

That’s helpful; thank you!

Can you also click on the little arrow new to Object to expand what’s beneath it? And also click on Learn More? I’ve used white to mark where in the screenshot below. I’m looking to see if either one of those gives more details behind the error.

I clicked on the little white arrow to the left, but nothing changes in the console, and when I clicked on the learn more link, to a Firefox mixed content page, screenshot attached.

Thank you! That’s all I need from you for now. I hope to have an update on this by the end of this week.

Thank you very much Anastasia

Hi @juliant

This problem is going to take longer to debug than we anticipated; I’m so sorry! I’ll let you know when we have an update.

Hi Anastasia,

Thanks for the update, would you have an idea on how long it might take to debug the bulk import?

Kind regards,
Julian

I hope to have another update this week. I’m sorry again about the delay. You should still be able to manually add encounters in the meantime as this issue only appears to affect bulk imports.

Hi Anastasia,

Thank you for the update.

Kind regards,
Julian

Hi @juliant

Thanks so much for being patient with us!

Apparently Sharkbook was preventing any users without the “admin” role from uploading bulk imports. We’ve corrected this and now anyone with the “researcher” role should be able to import their images without issue.

Hi Anastasia,

That’s great news, thank you so much for your help with this issue.

Cheers,
Julian

1 Like