Strange bulk import error messaging

In which Wildbook did the issue occur? Wild North

What operating system were you using? Win 11

What web browser were you using? latest chrome

What is your role on the site? admin

What happened?
I uploaded a bulk import that had some missing species fields (deliberately so I could get the expected error message) and that also had some missing GPS fileds (unintentionally, that was just the way the file was).
When I uploaded it the first time, I got the following error message that gave me the impression that missing GPS coordinates in an upload spreadsheet is now an unacceptable error, preventing the upload:

I then tested both scenarios of missing data separately - so first an upload with the species missing in some fields, and got the expected error message:

And then a separate upload with only some GPS coordinates missing. In this case, no errors were noted, and the missing GPS fields were highlighted in green (rather than the expected blue or yellow as blank fields should be represented) in the parsed import table, and had been populated with the number 0.0, even though those fields were blank in my upload file

What did you expect to happen?

1. No error message related to missing GPS
  2. Consistent error messaging across same issues in different uploads
  3. GPS blank cells to be highlighted in blue or yellow

The one-off error message that included the missing GPS in the Error section, is concerning because users do occasionally upload data without GPS, particularly when sourced through citizen science programs, and they need to be able to continue to do so. If they see an error message that includes this as a flagged issue, then they would believe that blank GPS fields are no longer allowed in Wildbook, which would be incorrect.

However, flagging the missing GPS fields by highlighting in blue or yellow, as is the case for other blank fields in a spreadsheet, would be beneficial so that users can see the blanks and confirm that these fields were left intentionally blank, or not.

I can send my test spreadsheets if you like just let me know, but I’m guessing you have plenty…

Maureen

cc: @PaulK

Can you send over the specific sheets you used that generated these errors? services@wildme.org

Thanks!

They’re sent. thanks