Two Individual pages/ same individual

In which Wildbook did the issue occur? Manta Matcher

What operating system were you using? (eg. MacOS 10.15.3) MAC OS 10.11.6

What web browser were you using? (eg. Chrome 79) Version 88.0.4324.182 (Official Build) (x86_64)
What is your role on the site? (admin, researcher, etc) Researcher

What happened? I noticed that there are two pages for the exact same individuals, same ID number that appear from the drop-down many when you try to assign a match. Sure enough its the same individual, same ID number but not grouped together.

What did you expect to happen? Tehre to be one page per individual

What are some steps we could take to reproduce the issue?

Here are the links:

Thank you!

If this is a bulk import report, send the spreadsheet to with the email subject line matching your bug report

Hi @E.Germanov ,
This likely occurred when we had a bug regarding bulk import where individual ID wasn’t being set properly. Normally, this can be easily resolved. The duplicate individual has only one encounter under it, which can be transferred over to the correct individual. Once that is done, the duplicate individual will be removed from the system.
However, I found a bug while documenting the instructions below. We will need to resolve an issue of missing buttons before the following directions work. We are tracking this bug under WB-1536 and then the instructions below should work for you.

How to move encounters between individuals:

  1. Navigate to the encounter you want to move (MantaMatcher)
  2. Scroll down to Identity and click the Edit button.
  3. Remove the encounter from the current individual.
  4. Go to Add to existing individual ID. Begin typing the name associated with the individual you want to associate the encounter with. A dropdown will display a list of all matching individuals. Select from the list then click Add.

The problem is I don’t seem to have edit permissions on this encounter. Seems like batch uploaded encounters do not behave the same as manually uploaded ones.
To save time we are moving more and more towards batch uploading.

Screen Shot 2021-03-14 at 09.04.03

Thanks for your help!

Ahh sorry, I guess this is what you mean about missing buttons.

1 Like


I’ve been looking at some individual naming issues and investigated this.

I was able to detach the encounter from the duplicate and assign this record to the correct individual using the autocomplete. Through testing it was discovered that the autocomplete does not work if species and genus are not assigned or incorrectly assigned. Is it possible that these were not set on your previous attempt?

Have you seen this problem on other encounters since?

I was unable to discover a permissions problem, though I will look deeper into that possibility if you see this elsewhere.

Below is a link to the lone encounter for the duplicate individual, since reassigned. Please try removing it from the individual record and reassigning to see if the issue is resolved.


Hi! Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, the issue persits. I followed the link:MantaMatcher

Tried to remove the Individual to try to re-assign but removing does nothing. It is still assigned.

I have since come across this issue elsewhere.

The Genus and Species are correctly assigned. Again I cannot remove the assigned individual on the March encounter to reassign it.

Thank you for your help.


Can you confirm the account you are using on Mantamatcher is E.Germanov? As an admin account you should be able to delete any encounter though this is clearly not the case.

I can see from the audit trail that you were able to change some of the information on these encounters, which is the same level of privilege. I was able to successfully remove and reattach the encounter to it’s current individual.

There is simply no button to remove the encounter from an individual, even though other edit functionality works, correct? Please send me a screen shot of what you see with the individual edit menu open if you can. With the context of the greater encounter page I might be able to find a clue.

Perhaps if you let me know the browser/system you are using I can replicate this behavior also. Another thing to try is logging in to a protected window that ignores browser caching. This is the “Private Window” on Firefox and the “Incognito Window” on Chrome. Maybe there is some small code shift that your machine is holding on to an old version of that attempting the deletion there will ignore.

Thanks for your patience. If nothing turns up from these steps I’d be happy to have a quick diagnoses meeting and screen share with you this 4/05 if you are available.


1 Like

Hi Colin,
I just tried it again and it worked! Yes I am using E. Germanov. Before the button was there but it just didn’t fo any thin. Perhaps it was a chache issue as I have since restarted my computer.

I am running a pretty ancient system:

Mac OS 10.11.6 and Chrome Version 89.0.4389.90 (Official Build) (x86_64)

I know I should upgrade but I fear it might just break my 2013 MacBook Pro.

Thanks for your help.

1 Like

That’s great to hear! I was somewhat mystified.

Yes, my guess is some sort of caching issue where we made a small change to the code and your web browser saved the old version.

Glad you have the functionality back. Do keep in mind the private window trick if something similar pops up!