Visual Matcher not working on Whiskerbook

What Wildbook are you working in?

What is the entire URL out of the browser, exactly where the error occurred?

Can you describe what the issue is you’re experiencing?
The visual matcher is throwing an error:

Error fetching data

[object Object] error Gateway Time-out

Can you provide steps on how to reproduce what you’re experiencing?
Just wait for the site to load and visual matcher is not working.

If this is a bulk import report, send the spreadsheet to services@wildme.org with the email subject line matching your bug report

I also thought to mention that we are in the final stretch of our zoo match challenge. There are more than five people who depend on the visual matcher to finish their portion. I can imagine that these people will finish by June 15th, however, it’s dependent on the visual matcher functioning and right now it’s not working. Perhaps its going through an update? If it’s possible to let me know an eta of when it will be back up then I can relay to the team. After this work is finished then we will/can delete out all of the zoo data from the system. Thanks so much for all of your support throughout this test. Hopefully the system didn’t get caught up on all of the zoo images!!

Hi @evebohnett

Can you please send a link to an example of where it is not working and how? I’ll need to reproduce this.

Thanks,
Jason

Hi Jason,

Basically, everyone is reporting that it is not working. I also can’t get it to work so I think whichever account you use to login then you can try it and see that it’s not working at all.

Also, what also bothered me that I reported before was that every location was available in the visual matcher drop down menu. Previously, only the locations relevant to the user were available, and then somewhere along the lines it changed. Although, this is less important than the issue that the visual matcher throws an error anytime anyone uses it, it does make the visual matcher 10x harder to use because the user has to know all of their account locations instead of it being subset automatically to their account’s data.

Thanks for understanding.

Best,
Eve Bohnett

Hi @evebohnett

I have put some code improvements in. I am seeing more and faster results after being able to see some visual matcher queries timeout previously.

Are you still seeing the issue? If so, there are a few more changes I can make.

Thanks,
Jason

Hi @jason, It appears that the Whiskerbook is still not working. This is the error I get every time I try to use it. I just logged into someone’s account and attempted to use it and got this error.

Thanks @evebohnett

That was the data point I needed. I extended the server timeout (it was 60 seconds…now 5 minutes), and I am seeing the results populate whereas I could see the timeout before. I think this was just a large data load. We can potentially work to optimize the data load in the future, but for now the server should not timeout. Can you please give it a try and let me know if the data arrives without the error above?

Thanks,
Jason

Great, thanks for taking the time to work on this @jason

Yes, I can confirm it is now working on my side. I noticed it was a little slow (and took over 3 minutes to populate the results) However, I am in Nepal where the internet connectivity is not so good. I am not sure if it’s me or the platform.

In any case, thank you for going in and fixing it up a bit for us. We appreciate it.

Best,
Eve Bohnett

1 Like

Yes, I have confirmed @jason that the visual matcher takes several minutes to load.

1 Like

Also, @jason I did have one person report it was working vey very slowly and then stopped working again. I’m not sure what the root of this issue maybe. Im so sorry. We are hoping to get the volunteers wrapped up this month. We had a lot of issues with PIE not performing well on our data and its taking the volunteers a lot longer to do the zoo challenge.

Hi @evebohnett

Can you please send their link to the slow or not loading page?

Thanks,
Jason

Hi @jason These issues seem to be happening with users across our volunteers. I had two people mention the visual matcher was slow after I let them know it took 3 minutes for the results to populate. I also had the same issue.
Even now, after logging onto the platform and trying to access the list of encounters then I’m noticing a slow interface. It’s taking a several minutes just to load the encounters on the platform, like 5 to 10 minutes… Normally it’s not this slow. Something is really bogging everything down. Basically, everyone in our volunteer cohort is saying the same thing about the platform. Very slow, takes a long time, pages not loading or not working at all and getting errors.

Hi @evebohnett

I made some small speed improvements in the code. Before the changes, the two links above would load in about three minutes. Now each is loading in about 15 seconds. The question now is whether those improvements made the difference, or whether this is a performance issue happening over time.

More link examples that are slow do help.

Thanks,
Jason

Great thanks @jason I was able to login and get to the approved encounters in less than 30 seconds this time.

The visual matcher encounters still took a little while to load. I got it clocked at around 2 minutes. It’s still taking slightly longer than I was used to. Just to make sure that was consistent, I tried opening the visual matcher on two separate encounters. The next one only took 15 seconds (because there were only two encounters). I tried to switch locations from the drop down menu in the visual matcher, and then it took over 4 minutes to bring up the 12 or so new encounters which seemed to be 40 or 50 photos at that location. The number of encounters and possibly the number of photos seems to slow things down, as it has to populate and pull into the interface.

Hi @evebohnett

I’ve been tracking performance and making slow, gradual improvements. On my side, I have now reduced response time from 3 minutes to 19 seconds to 12 seconds to 6 seconds and now to subsecond response. I have noticed that response time does degrade over time, but I believe my latest changes (subsecond response) may change that. I will keep monitoring to see if the current subsecond response time creeps up over the next few hours.

Hi @jason Wow, this is a huge improvement. When I tried to load in the interface, then it was also very fast.

We appreciate so much the time and energy you have put into making these incredible improvements.

Best,
Eve Bohnett

1 Like