Whale Shark Login Not Working

In which Wildbook did the issue occur? Whale Shark

What operating system were you using? (eg. MacOS 10.15.3) Mac OS 10.15.6

What web browser were you using? (eg. Chrome 79) Chrome 89

What is your role on the site? (admin, researcher, etc) researcher

What happened? Multiple attempts have been made to log in with the MMF-Moz account. We keep logging in, it looks like the page is loading, then we are brought back to the log-in page. There is no message about an incorrect password (it’s saved on my computer and hasn’t been changed, so that shouldn’t be the case)

What did you expect to happen? Log onto the site

What are some steps we could take to reproduce the issue? Try to log on? I’m not sure if this is a broader issue, or just one with this account

If this is a bulk import report, send the spreadsheet to services@wildme.org with the email subject line matching your bug report

I think I’ve figured out the issue. There doesn’t seem to be an email associated with the MMF-Moz account on whaleshark.org. Could you please add my email address to that account? It’s anna@marinemegafauna.org

Hello!
I’m not seeing a user named MMF-Moz in the whaleshark database.
I plan on investigating this further in the logs asap.
Many thanks,
Mark

Hi, @AFlam !
So, I dug a little deeper with this.
I can confirm that a user with username MMF-Moz used to exist on whaleshark and no longer does.
They used to be associated with 312 encounters, including, for instance, Wildbook for Whale Sharks and Wildbook for Whale Sharks.

My first suspicion was that perhaps somebody claimed MMF-Moz’s account during the ongoing user reconciliation effort.

However, I believe that I have ruled that out.

It looks like @simonjpierce is listed as the managing researcher in the above encounters. Perhaps he may know more?

Heads up @jason @tanyastere

Yes, I was wondering if the account was accidentally made part of @simonjpierce’s main account with the codex reconciliation, as I believe that account was originally created with his email. I’m fine with those accounts remaining with Simon as the managing researcher, but I will need a new account for us to continue matching the whale sharks out here.

Can we create a new MMF-Moz account using my email: anna@marinemegafauna.org? It doesn’t need high-level permissions, it will be a shared account for interns matching here in Mozambique. If we can also have South African permissions that would be great.

Hi, @AFlam !
Apologies for the late follow up with this one.
I’m happy to create a new MMF-Moz account. However, the anna@marinemegafauna.org email address is already being used for three accounts on whaleshark… including one called MMF-Mozambique!

If you still want MMF-Moz given the existence of MMF-Mozambique, please let me know which (unique) email address to give it.

Also, just a heads up that:

• We will suspend any accounts that have distinct usernames but have a matching email address. The account with the highest privileges will be maintained. To reactivate a suspended account, reach out to Wildbook support. Encounters, individuals, and occurrences will be retained and accessible to collaborators.

From Reconciling your Wildbook accounts in preparation for Codex

Note that two of the three accounts in your case are usernameless, so perhaps they were generated by an encounter submission while you were logged out or something.

-Mark

1 Like

Thanks, Mark, no worries about the delay. I actually just had Simon set up a new account for us, which is why you’re seeing the new MMF-Mozambique account. I’m assuming the other two accounts you’re seeing are ones I’ve uploaded when I’m not logged in to the site, I’ll merge those with the new account

1 Like

Excellent. Thanks!
-M