Where to note side of animal on picture

What Wildbook are you working in? Whiskerbook

What is the entire URL out of the browser, exactly where the error occurred?

Can you describe what the issue is you’re experiencing?

Can you provide steps on how to reproduce what you’re experiencing?

My question:
Is it anywhere in the system I can note which side of an individual is shown on a picture? This is important information for deciding the minimum number of individuals in the Project (eg. only using pictures of left sides).
Cheers
Øystein

If this is a bulk import report, send the spreadsheet to services@wildme.org with the email subject line matching your bug report

Hi Øystein,

I have added the left/right keywords to Whiskerbook. When you click on an image in an Encounter to zoom it, you can now also select Left and Right from the available Keyword pulldown menu.

I also want to note that our computer vision system also predicts viewpoint, which is recorded on each green bounding box:

And this allows us to avoid matching lefts to rights, etc.

Cheers,
Jason

Hi Jason,

Thank you very much! :slight_smile:
Please note that I have done all my annotations manually so far because the system could not handle all my pictures automatically. I have accordingly also added “viewpoint” manually. My understanding is that “viewpoint” indicates where on the picture the animal is from my viewpoint (eg. in front of the picture, in the back or to the right of the picture etc) and not which part/side of the animal is shown on the picture. Accordingly it has nothing to do with “avoid matching lefts and rights”. On the attached picture I have recorded the animal to be in Front of the picture. Have I misunderstood this? :slight_smile:

Cheers
Øystein

Oystein

I noticed you were still waiting on the response re this question. Unfortunately your use of the term viewpoint is different from that of the system. The system viewpoint is what aspect of the animal you are seeing

Left
Right
Back
Front
Bottom
and then combinations thereof such as

Back Left

Bottom Right

So all of your manual labels would appear to be incorrect.

Sorry to tell you this, perhaps Jason can confirm this for you.

Regards

Paul

CC @jason

Hi Paul,
Thank you for clarifying this! It dawned on me that I have done this wrong! Now I know for shore!! :slight_smile:
Cheers
Øystein

1 Like

Thanks @PaulK for a great answer!