Why can I see and seems like edit others' data?

Hi,

What Wildbook are you working in?
-zebra wildbook

What is the entire URL out of the browser, exactly where the error occurred?
-https://zebra.wildbook.org/encounters/encounter.jsp?number=ce42035c-b8ea-46c7-b02a-33f3c2eb216d

Can you describe what the issue is you’re experiencing?

• When I searched my uploading in encounters, I could see other users encounters, and it seemed like I can edit them. Is it a bug? I remembered that we shouldn’t be able to see others’ data, at least we shouldn’t be able to edit others’ data, except for being a collaborator. However, I am all alone now.

Can you provide steps on how to reproduce what you’re experiencing?

If this is a bulk import report, send the spreadsheet to services@wildme.org with the email subject line matching your bug report

Sincerely,
Bing

Hi @xie.bing

I created a test account and checked your data and could not edit it. You should not be able to edit any data but your own.

I checked in with the zebra community, and the silo security model, which limits visibility, is NOT turned on for that community. Other Wildbook communities like sharkbook.ai and mantamatcher.org are also permissive in this way.

So my apologies, the Zebra Wildbook community currently does block editing your data, but data is intentionally searchable and visible. I am checking with the community on whether we need to change this policy overall.

Is data visibility (but not editing) a blocker for you using the platform?

Thanks,
Jason

Hi @jason ,

Thank you so much for testing. I am quite relief knowing others can’t edit my data.

I am not sure if seeing other’s data affects my work. I am still in the middle of learning how to work on the platform. May I ask something I am confused of before answering the question?

How can I only match zebras in my data?

After I upload a bulk, There are only two choises of matching: this position (position included by this bulk), and all positions. What does all position mean? All positions of my upload (for example, including previous bulk import), or all positions I can see?

Is there another choice, like “matching in this users all uploadings”?

Sincerely,
Bing

Hi @xie.bing

From each encounter you can manually start a match and scope it to other areas or limit it to just your data for that species. Here’s how to start a manual match to change matching parameters:

https://docs.wildme.org/docs/researchers/matching_process#manually-starting-a-match

Matching can be filtered by:

1. Location ID
  2. User
  3. Project (more info: Projects | Wild Me Docs)

Matching is always filtered by:

1. species
  2. viewpoint (but these include complementary viewpoints. for example left is also matched against “front-left”)
  3. Annotation type (e.g., “fluke” versus “fin”). For you this is always “zebra” so no consideration needed here.

Hope this helps describe the process.

Thanks,
Jason

Hi @jason ,

Thank you so much. I will do some indentification via each encouter, later on. Your answer is quite helpful.

Moreover, how is it for bulk import? I will do indentification large rely on bulk import. If the “all position” means all position I can see, it is better to stop me seeing others data.

Sincerely,
Bing

Hi @xie.bing

Unless you are trying to match your data to someone else’s catalog, I recommend setting Encounter.locationID to your study site and limiting bulk identification matching to that location ID. otherwise, you will see potential matches to others of the same species.

Note that across all Wildbooks, you can always match to others’ catalogs. It’s a way we encourage collaboration, especially where individuals are matchable across catalogs from differing researchers and research efforts. Silo security (turned off currently on zebra wildbook; waiting to confirm) only affects visibility of metadata.

Thanks,
Jason

Hi @jason ,

Thank you so much!

Sincerely,
Bing

1 Like