Wild dog - no matchable detection but IA class is correct

In which Wildbook did the issue occur? ACW

What operating system were you using? Win 11

What web browser were you using? latest chrome

What is your role on the site? admin & researcher

What happened?
User uploaded a bulk import: Wildbook for Carnivores | Login
Ran it through detection & matching.
Got an error on this encounter’s match results: Wildbook for Carnivores | Login
You can see that the IA class is one of the matchable ones:

She then opened the encounter record and noticed that the dropdown on the annotation showed both “no matchable detection” but also the option to “start another match”:

The user re-ran the encounter through ID multiple times but still got only errors.
She also added a manual annotation and then tried running that through ID and still got errors.

What did you expect to happen?
To get match results without an error message

Please note: I kicked off “start another match” on the affected encounter record about an hour ago to see if I get a different result. It’s currently still running: Wildbook for Carnivores

What are some steps we could take to reproduce the issue?
This issue has occurred in the past but put on the back burner as, in those cases, running “start another match” produced match results. This was before we were able to run matching and ID from the bulk import screens and all matching had to be kicked off at the encounter level: No matchable detection on an annotated animal - #5 by tanyastere

If this is a bulk import report, send the spreadsheet to services@wildme.org with the email subject line matching your bug report
I’ve asked the user to send me the spreadsheet so I’ll forward it when I get it but I doubt that’s the source of the issue as this user’s spreadsheets are all produced via an R script and she hasn’t seen this issue before or elsewhere in the same import.


Update on the match I kicked off to replicate the user-reported issue - I also got an error message on the match results from this encounter record: Wildbook for Carnivores

1 Like

Thanks for your patience while we worked on this.

If WBIA is down when a manual annotation is added, the annotation looks matchable but it’s missing the acmID from WBIA. That acmID is how WBIA and Wildbook know how they’re referencing the same image.

When we run detection, WBIA tells Wildbook what the acmID is. But if WBIA is down during manual annotation we don’t get that acmID. This makes the annotation look matchable on the Wildbook side. Now when that job is sent to WBIA, it gets that annotation and doesn’t know what it is, so it fails the job and we get the error you see above.

Luckily this one is an edge case and is not likely to occur often.