Best way to correct annotations in a full dataset

What Wildbook are you working in? ACW

A researcher would like to review all of the images in her dataset prior to running matching, in order to add/edit/delete as needed. She’s finding a substantial # of pics with multiple individuals where one or more either has not been detected or where multiple individuals are annotated as one.

She doesn’t want to run matching until these are all corrected because she doesn’t want to miss any possible individuals in the dataset.

The approach she was going to take was to use: “View My Submissions” > click the “Matching Images/Video” tab and then use the Add annotation function there. It’s an easy way to scroll through the images in her dataset to see which ones need fixing.

The problem is, that display of “Matching Images” is dynamic not static. So clicking on Next/back doesn’t take her systematically through her dataset, it just serves up a random selection of her images.

So our question is, if this isn’t going to work as a way to systematically clean up her annotations, can you tell us what is the best way to accomplish this?

thanks!
Maureen

Putting this question before the team since it’s a best-practices question. Will let you know what we come up with.

1 Like

Sounds good. Just a follow up thought - it doesn’t need to be ‘best practice’ really, we’re just looking for a simple and straightforward way to systematically review and clean up all of the annotations in her dataset so that when she runs matching, she doesn’t keep having to leave that task to go clean up media assets that need it in order to present properly for matching. I hope that makes sense. thanks

After much deliberation, our best suggestion is to use this screen, but put in more specific search parameters. If you search by sighting or region, you will have a smaller set to work through. We don’t really have anything oriented at scaled user review (as you well know).

Hi @tanyastere, I’m confused - is the recommendation is to use the "“View My Submissions” >
“Matching Images/Video” tab screen? Because I was told, and I can’t find a way to filter that with any criteria.
thanks!
M

Hey @ACWadmin1 , this is ancient and likely already solved, but I’m gonna give a quick runthrough anyway because @MarkF is fantastic at holding me accountable.

The “Matching Images/Video” tab is actually related to encounter search. The “View My Submissions” is a quick filter that does a search by the signed-in-username. So to get a more-filtered view of the Matching Images/Video tab, you’ll just need to do an encounter search with additional parameters that include filtering by your username.

Tanya

Hi @tanyastere - this might be an old ticket but it’s still one that could make a huge difference for our users so thanks for getting back to it.

It was a tricky one for me to figure out because we want to be able to filter encounters by Occurrence ID but that field isn’t available on the encounter search. But the submission date fields, along with some other filters, gets us there. What was confusing is that additional filters added to the search results page don’t get applied to the other tabs including the Matching images/videos even though it does, obviously, change the search results in the table.

Anyway, I get it now! That said, is it still true that the Matching images/videos results are a random/dynamic selection from the search results? Which means that the same images are often repeated across multiple pages. If that’s still the case, without these image results being a static set of images that can be reviewed from first to last, it’s still not a good solution for being able to review the images & add/correct all annotations prior to running matching.

That said, it’s good to know that I finally understand how to filter to the results we need on the Search table so that the Matching images tab reflects what I expect to see.

Thanks for getting back to me on this Tanya and thanks to @MarkF for helping bring this one to conclusion.

I thought I’d already submitted a feature request to have the Image galleries (including the individual’s image gallery, via View all images link) be a static set of all images matching the search criteria but I can’t seem to find it.

Are these images dynamically generated or is it now a static set that can be reviewed systematically by clicking “next”? If it’s still dynamic, I’ll put in a feature request. Reviewing images systematically seems to me to be something that would be important in a system that’s all about images :thinking:

But maybe I’m missing something. If you could let me know how images in the galleries are displayed - static vs dynamic, I’d appreciate it.

Have a great weekend and thanks for your help!

cheers
Maureen

Hi @ACWadmin1

You’re completely right. This search results gallery does have duplicates between pages:

Example:

https://africancarnivore.wildbook.org/encounters/thumbnailSearchResults.jsp?individualIDExact=8b295791-aaf6-4caf-a32a-2d4785098e87

and then the next page:

https://africancarnivore.wildbook.org/encounters/thumbnailSearchResults.jsp?individualIDExact=8b295791-aaf6-4caf-a32a-2d4785098e87&startNum=10&endNum=40

Definitely a few duplicates between them. And really, even if there was perfect deduplication, it’s not a great overall tool for reviewing and hand editing bulk annotations as those would still then need to be done on the corresponding encounter page, losing place and progression in the search results page.

I would recommend filing a feature request for bulk annotation display and review but more for Codex than Wildbook as Codex will have a modern rewrite of the entire paradigm of annotation review.

Until then, in Wildbook, the way to review annotations is Encounter page by Encounter page.

Thanks,
Jason