Cannot assign encounter

When I try to match this encounter:

Wildbook for Giraffe (giraffespotter.org)

it says it already named: [LG-0164F]

but this encounter page is not named. If I click on the encounter again on the top of the match page, I come to this encounter page:

which is different than the first one. How does that happen?
Also this encounter page is not found on the overall result page and on the LG-0164F encounter page this encounter is not present.

I think this has happened to me before a few times. Could you please explain how I can solve it? And why it happens?

Hi @FrederikeOtten

Great question; this is pretty confusing! I’ll need more time to look into this and figure out what’s causing this to happen.

I found this older support thread where the same issues was happening in ACW: View match results - wrong encounter in match results page as target

It seemed to be resolved by re-running the match from the Encounter. Can you try this and let me know if it works?

Hi Anastasia,
what do you mean with re-running? Start another match?
Because this doesn’t work for me, I keep gettting ‘attempting to fetch results’ and nothing happens.

Hi Anastasia,
It happens a lot. Can this be fixed somehow?

Yes, I meant starting another match.

It appears to be working now. All but one of the match results for the links you just shared are appearing correctly. The match for this encounter still appears to be processing. It should display like the others did when it’s ready.

Regarding the match page not taking you back to the original encounter you started with, this happens when an annotation belongs to more than one encounter. Because match results are associated with the annotation it came from (and not the encounter), when an annotation belongs to two or more encounters, Wildbook is guessing at which Encounter record to take you back to.

One way to dig further into this is by going to Administer > Data Integrity when you’re signed into GiraffeSpotter and clicking on the link for Find Annotations Duplicated in Two or More Encounters. You can choose your name from the drop-down menu to see a table of annotations that belong to more than one Encounter and clean up data that way. I do see a couple of examples of the same annotation being assigned to two different individuals.

Separately, we’ve updated GiraffeSpotter today and are adding another GPU to it in tomorrow’s server update. This should help you see faster match results and fewer errors. Thanks for your patience while we work our way through these issues.

ah this is great! I didn’t know this. It actually doesn’t solve the problem above. But I did see other problems that needed solving. Thanks!

1 Like

Ideally, cleaning up duplicate annotations means that the match page wouldn’t have to guess which Encounter a user came from since 1 annotation would match to 1 Encounter only. Especially since not all users arrive to the match page via an Encounter (such as sharing direct links to the match page via email).

it didn’t help me fixing the problems mentioned above though. Those were not on the duplicated page.

That’s because it appears to have already been resolved (possibly while you were reviewing the duplicate annotations?). If you check the original links in your post, you’ll see that the match result now links back to the original Encounter instead of a different one:

Encounter:

Match result:

The second Encounter the match result page used to link to is now deleted:
Wildbook for Giraffe (giraffespotter.org