Data needed to launch MiewID on Internet of Turtles

Hi IoT users!

You may have heard about our new MiewID multispecies algorithm from our Community announcements or from the Wild Me newsletter.

MiewID is much faster than Hotspotter, so you can see your match results sooner. Early versions of this model featuring only four species have been running on the African Carnivore Wildbook (ACW) and are already achieving more than a 10X improvement in ID job processing per day and even finding subtler matches missed by older algorithms.

We hope replace Hotspotter in IoT with MiewID, but we need your help in order to train the algorithm.

We’re looking for image sets of known individuals that you’ve reviewed with confidence, preferably individuals with 4 annotations (left and right head, left and right body) for the best results. The best way to do this is to provide us the URL to an IoT Individual Search that includes 100 or more individuals where that search result is filtered to data you believe has been curated accurately.

It is important to note that this advanced, multispecies AI can only be achieved through collaboration, and the field work of many different researchers contributed to improved accuracy and performance for all. Thank you to the many teams that directly or indirectly contributed to this new achievement in AI!

Let us know if you’re interested in training MiewID for sea turtles by responding to this post.

2 Likes

Hi!

I’d like to contribute to training of MiewID. Please let me know how best to provide a set of URLs to suitable individuals. In here or would you prefer an email? How many are you looking for?

Best,
Steph

Thanks, @ORP-StephanieK! I’ll send you an email shortly.

Feb 5, 2024: Updated the post to reflect that we’re looking for data sets that include 100 or more individuals.

Thank you so much to everyone’s who’s shared their sea turtle data with us so far. We hope to share progress updates soon. :slight_smile:

Anastasia,
Yes I have many photos of loggerheads! Most of the images are out of the water but I can work on collecting images for in-water. How can I help?
Thank you,
Tabby

1 Like

Thanks, @tsiegfried! I’ll send you an email shortly.