Date Change request

What Wildbook are you working in?
Internet of Turtles

What is the entire URL out of the browser, exactly where the error occurred?
https://iot.wildbook.org/encounters/encounter.jsp?number=8af2a69a-4467-4449-9f7f-b7b9a8d4018a

Can you describe what the issue is you’re experiencing?
The sighting was loaded with incorrect date, it was loaded as 19 July 2021, but should be 16 July 2021.

Unfortunately this is something only IoT admin can fix unless you can sign the encounter to me manually?

This is an ongoing issue for me… I’m overseeing a project remotely, but I can’t edit uploads from our staff and volunteers, because I am the only one with a log in. We want to keep it that way as I’m the only one who should be able to work on the back end, but it means I can’t match their sightings or do any other quality control without asking admin to assign the encounters to me.

Is there any chance that this situation will change moving forward? for example the addition of a functionality that allows uploaders to select a managing researcher for their project who can then administer those photos?

Can you provide steps on how to reproduce what you’re experiencing?

If this is a bulk import report, send the spreadsheet to services@wildme.org with the email subject line matching your bug report

Hi, @Rowan !
I added you as the managing researcher to this encounter and went ahead and changed the date to the one specified.

I also noticed that the submitterID was, “N/A” for this encounter.
I suppose that one thing you and staff and volunteers could do going forward would be to add an, “Encounter.submitterID” column to bulk imports and add “rwpringle” as the submitter.

I’m not immediately seeing a solution for single-encounter submissions if someone isn’t logged in under your account during submission (in which case, you would automatically be the submitter and the encounter would have your submitterID attached to it).

In case bulk import is a new thing for your team, it has a bit of a learning curve to it, but it’s a powerful tool for stuff like this. I hope that this helps.

-Mark

Thanks for the response @MarkF

It’s a tricky one, because we usually have volunteers coming in for a relatively short period of time and they are doing this DB work as part of a wider marine ecology project. My feeling is that the bulk imports are maybe a step too far at this stage.

But if it isn’t too much of a hassle, my idea was that maybe I can keep a list of the encounters they upload, and once a month send the list of the encounter links to you or another admin to get them assigned to me. Would this be acceptable? I don’t know how much of your time that would take up, and/or if it would be easier to do it in batches or as and when sightings are uploaded. What are your thoughts?

Hi, @Rowan !
An ideal solution would decouple your workflow from our availability to assist.
Another thought that I have is this: what if I create an account named “WEI-”, “OperationWallacea-”, or “UniversitasHasanuddin-” “volunteer” (depending on which org) that shares a fullName with your account, such that you can claim this user and merge their encounters into your own as detailed herein when you see fit. That way, volunteers can log in as that user and submit encounters. Is that a satisfactory solution for you?

I’m not sure how work saving that is for support staff, since we’d have to create the user anew any time your merged it into your own user… but at least an orgAdmin could also create such a user for you?

Let me stew on this a little more in case I come up with a better solution, but that’s the best I have so far.
Thanks,
Mark

@MarkF thanks, I will look into it and let you know if this would would work, even if just as a stopgap until we can figure out a better way to handle it :slight_smile: thanks again for the help. In the next couple of days can I send you a couple of the other encounters to assign to me that we did when I was training a new staff member this week?

1 Like

Hi, @Rowan !
Sure thing.
-Mark

Thank you so much @MarkF :slight_smile:

Here are the encounters to assign:

https://iot.wildbook.org/encounters/encounter.jsp?number=a6e76968-7bdd-4ed8-8462-e84f4b93aae6

https://iot.wildbook.org/encounters/encounter.jsp?number=472a20b6-9159-4f09-9645-348130fa5341

https://iot.wildbook.org/encounters/encounter.jsp?number=748f0ad3-375e-4ced-9a38-1d03f3722d40

https://iot.wildbook.org/encounters/encounter.jsp?number=e63673f8-9fa9-46ec-b73a-6a7501ac7e95

https://iot.wildbook.org/encounters/encounter.jsp?number=7d00bdc2-50d3-42eb-b8b3-ae092f405141

Thanks again for all the rapid assistance.

All the best,
Rowan

Hi, @Rowan !
Ok, I’ve assigned all of these to you!
Cheers,
Mark

@Rowan by the way, which organization are you getting volunteers for? I can go ahead and create a volunteer user tied to your email address if you’d like.
-Mark

great thanks @MarkF!

@MarkF - Our organisation is Wildlife and Ecological Investments (WEI).

That could work :slight_smile:

Out of interest, would a volunteer user have limited editing / approval capabilities, or would it be the same as a researcher profile?

Either way I think it’s OK as long as the staff on site make sure that volunteers don’t make changes on the back end when they are logged in and leave the encounter approvals to me.

Second question - A while back I had also created a WEI profile (on the collaborators page as WEI) linked to my work email address (marine.ecology@wei.org.za), but I’ve forgotten the username and can’t find the sign up email :see_no_evil:

What I’d like to do if possible is the following:

• update the email address linked to my Rowan Watt-Pringle account to marine.ecology@wei.org.za
    (I couldn’t do self update, it gave me a Status 550 ? Internal Error Report - see https://iot.wildbook.org/UserSelfUpdate?context=context0)
  • update the WEI user to be the WEI Volunteers account (With user name WEI Volunteers), and have that account also linked to marine.ecology@wei.org.za

Sorry if this complicates things, please let me know if this is easy, or if it’s maybe better to delete the WEI user account and create a new volunteer account.

Thanks!

Rowan

Hi, @Rowan !

My responses below:

Out of interest, would a volunteer user have limited editing / approval capabilities, or would it be the same as a researcher profile?

Currently, the WEI user (now WEI Volunteers with email address marine.ecology@wei.org.za) doesn’t have any roles, which I think but am not certain simply allows that user to contribute encounters; I will check with the team tomorrow to confirm.

Second question - A while back I had also created a WEI profile (on the collaborators page as WEI) linked to my work email address (marine.ecology@wei.org.za), but I’ve forgotten the username and can’t find the sign up email :see_no_evil:

Ok I changed this user to username, “WEI Volunteers”. I also forgot that we are now enforcing unique email addresses for each user, so unfortunately both “rwpringle” and “WEI Volunteers” cannot have the same email address. In order to link those two accounts in your “Manage My Accounts” tab, I’ve temporarily changed your full name from “Rowan Pringle” to “WEI Volunteers”, which matches the full name of the “WEI Volunteers” user. This should allow you to claim that WEI Volunteers account at will, at which point all of those encounters will become yours. You can also change your full name back to Rowan Pringle at that point (or ask me to if the bug is still there :see_no_evil: ).

Hoping that this makes sense after a re-read,
Mark

@MarkF Super thank you!

I think I’ve got all that! I’ve reviewed both accounts and you are correct, it seems the WEI Volunteers account can only submit encounters. These will then be attributed to my marine.ecology@wei.org.za email.

I’ll try uploading some sightings now with that account to check that I can claim them from my personal account, and will also check that I can switch my full name between WEI Volunteers and my name :slight_smile:

I’ll let you know if I run into any trouble. Thank you again so much for all your help, I really appreciate it!

all the best,

Rowan

1 Like

Hi, @Rowan !
Note that when you claim the WEI Volunteers account, it will be removed after consolidation, so I’d have to make a new user. This is not a problem and I think it’s worth doing this pilot run, but I just didn’t want you to be surprised when WEI Volunteers disappears.
Cheers,
Mark

@MarkF OK, I had already consolidated, so will bear that in mind and let you know as soon as I’ve managed to run through everything

Hi, @Rowan !
I created a new account named, “WEI Volunteers” account for you and the volunteers now that we know it’s working. I emailed you the password (to both email addresses).
May I mark this thread as resolved?
Cheers,
Mark

@MarkF yes perfect thank you!

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Duplicated encounters in IoT?