Image Analysis has returned and no match was found

Hi there,

I have quite some links where there is no match found and when I ‘start another match’ I get ‘attempting to fetch results’ or only giving one match. (Hotspotter Match results, MiewID is not giving great results yet). Can you help me please?

Wildbook for Giraffe (giraffespotter.org)

Hi @FrederikeOtten

This sounds like normal behavior. Hotspotter only displays match candidates with a match score greater than 0. Showing 1 match even with the default of 12 candidates set is also typical of Hotspotter. If it determines there aren’t enough candidates with a match score above 0, it will only display what it finds. In the case where no match with a score above 0 is found, that’s when you’ll see the message “Image Analysis has returned and no match was found”.

As for the “attempting to fetch results” message, GiraffeSpotter is currently working through 2217 jobs right now. It may take a little while for those Hotspotter results to complete.

Hi @Anastasia
I would like to respond to your answer. I am quite sure it happens often that Hotspotter says ‘Image Analysis has returned and no match was found’. But there is actually a match!

some examples I now found:

but this is LG-0043. The other problem here is, that the encounter page doesn’t let me give this name to the individual.
the other giraffes on this photo are also seen before, (although I don’t know their IDs).

Could you please have a look why this is happening please?

thanks!

What happens when you try to manually edit the Identity from the encounter page? Do you see an error message? You may need to remove the old name before you can assign it to LG-0043.

As far as why a specific known individual isn’t showing up in your match results: AI isn’t perfect. It takes a lot of the manual work our of matching animals one by one, but it can still make mistakes and that means occasionally, it doesn’t present you with any of the correct matches in the results.

Hi @Anastasia,

I just wanted to follow up on this one…

We understand the AI can sometimes find 0-1 matches but, in the case of known ID but the AI found 0 matches and assigned it as ‘unassigned’ - within the encounter the option to manually add the name via ‘Add to existing individual ID’ is greyed out and not clickable. Is this perhaps related to the Luangwa subsite permissions?

Can you link to the encounter the screenshot is from? I’d like to take a look to find out why it won’t let you manage the identity.

1 Like

Thank you! It looks like the encounter is of Giraffa camelopardalis peralta but LG-0043 is Giraffa tippelskirchi thornicrofti.

If the unidentified giraffe is actually LG-0043, then you’ll want to edit the taxonomy on the encounter, refresh the page, and then try editing the Identity section again.

oh oh thanks @Anastasia ! Sorry about that! That doesn’t work then no.

1 Like