Lynx rufus instead of lynx lynx

In which Wildbook did the issue occur?

What operating system were you using? (eg. MacOS 10.15.3)
Windows 10

What web browser were you using? (eg. Chrome 79)
Latest Chrome

What is your role on the site? (admin, researcher, etc)

What happened?
Hi !! :slight_smile:
Somebody submitted an encounter and I noticed it was tagged as lynx rufus.
I deleted the encounter and submitted a new one with the same photos again and I did choose the attribute lynx lynx, but the pictures are again tagged as lynx Rufus :thinking: So there is of course no match found.


What did you expect to happen?
The pictures should be tagged lynx lynx.

What are some steps we could take to reproduce the issue?
You can for example download the pictures, change their names and make a new encounter with them, while selecting lynx lynx.

Thanks for your help !

I was able to replicate seeing the iaClass as lynx_rufus using two of the encounter images you linked even though the species was correctly listed as Lynx lynx. However, when I uploaded one of my own images and set it as Lynx lynx, the iaClass showed up correctly as lynx_lynx.

Do you know if the images were edited in any way before being uploaded? Sometimes that can do unpredictable things in Wildbook.

1 Like

Thanks @Anastasia !

This is very strange because he got the images the same way as usual : an extraction from a video, using VLC !

I tried to upload his original images and they are tagged lynx rufus. For this time, I modified the annotations manually (another example where this would have been awesome : Multi-images "start a new match" (OR do not display separately images that have been the subject of a "start a new match") :grin:), and I will tell you if this situation happens again in the future :slight_smile:

While I was testing this again, I noticed that the encounter you linked was deleted. Is there another example encounter you can share where you see this issue so we can keep working on it?

1 Like

Oops, here it is :

As you can see in the audit trail, I annotated the pictures manually to correct lynx rufus in lynx lynx.

You can replicate for example by downloading the pictures and make a new encounter with them :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the link!

We’ve figured out that these images are hitting a cache of previous detections with bad mappings. We had cleaned those up, but images that were previously uploaded before that cleanup happened display those cached detections. I was able to force a new detection by resizing the image slightly and re-uploading it and it correctly showed the iaClass as lynx_lynx.

Since this was an image cache issue and not a bug, I’m updating the post category to a support request.

1 Like

Thanks @Anastasia !!! :slight_smile: