Match results links on Bulk import task page have disappeared?

What Wildbook are you working in? ACW

What is the entire URL out of the browser, exactly where the error occurred?

Can you describe what the issue is you’re experiencing?
The links that used to appear in the “Match Results by Class” column have disappeared - can we get them restored (for all bulk imports)? It’s a super valuable step in the processing of new match results:

Thanks!
Maureen

Hi @ACWadmin1

With the upgrade made Friday, there have been some speed and information improvements to bulk imports. Not all of it is backward compatible with past matching made from the bulk import page, but all past detections and ID jobs are still in the system and accessible from each related Encounter page.

Basically, each bulk import is now uniquely tied to a detection and/or ID job (depending on your selection after the import), and this helps us better track where the bulk import is in the detection and matching process because we have a link to all of the child detection and ID jobs kicked off. However, old bulk imports don’t have that unique link to a specific task. Previously, bulk imports used to showed any and all match results related to the Encounter, regardless if they were part of the bulk import or just later run because this unique link was not established.

However, if you re-run this bulk import through detection and/or ID (since you’re an admin, add &forcePushIA=true to the URL above to reveal the detection and ID job menu again), you’ll create the new link between the bulk import and the unique job and the new matching results will start appearing again. You’ll also start seeing the IA? column populating for that bulk import on the list of bulk imports:

https://africancarnivore.wildbook.org/imports.jsp

You don’t have to re-run any old detection or ID jobs, but for those that you do wish to update this information in, I would recommend using the URL addition above to re-run the matching from them and get the bulk import fully populated again.

Moving forward this should overall be an improvement for each new bulk import, providing better status during the detection and ID process. As an aside, I am currently doing QA on bulk imports in Codex, and I can tell you it is a giant leap ahead of the current process, providing better visibility and status tracking. More when we can release it…

Thanks,
Jason

1 Like

Hi @jason, thanks for the detailed reply. I did notice other changes to the Bulk Import screens so I figured it was related to an update since Friday. In this instance, I won’t re-run the import through detection & matching again as the user has already done a bunch of ID’s on the batch. But it’s a good trick to know! And 1) I’m happy to hear we haven’t lost that particular functionality; 2) I can already see that the changes are overall beneficial.

Meanwhile, all these teasers about Codex… Can’t wait to see it!

thanks again,
Maureen

2 Likes

Hi @jason - I tried this method of forcing a re-run of detection and ID of an import batch but I must have done something wrong because now the encounters in the batch are all showing no “match results” option, only an option to “Start match”; and there are obviously no match links in the bulk import task page.

Here’s the task page: Wildbook for Carnivores | Login

I added the &forcePushIA=true to the url and it worked - I was able to click on “send to identification”. From there, I have no match results, now a few hours after having done these steps.

What did I do wrong???

thanks!
Maureen

Hi @jason, there have been 2 bulk imports done since the update this past weekend and the “Match results by class” column is still not populating with the match results links for each encounter.

Here are the 2 import task links that were run after the update to the system this past weekend:
Imported & run through detection & ID on Jan 18th: Wildbook for Carnivores | Login

Imported & run through detection & ID on Jan 20th (today): Wildbook for Carnivores | Login

We’re really hoping to get this feature back - the users REALLY love it!

thanks!
Maureen

Hi @ACWadmin1

There’s some condition happening here that we didn’t see testing this on other Wildbook platforms (Whiskerbook, Zebra, and Flukebook). We’re investigating and will get it back.

Thanks,
Jason

P.S. Ticket WB-1911

1 Like

Hi @ACWadmin1

We have restored the link but are still testing and evaluating a fix. However, you should be able to see the links again.

Thanks,
Jason

1 Like

Hi @ACWadmin1

Have you been seeing the match results properly since we deployed the fix?

Thanks,
Jason

Hi @jason - sorry for not following up on this one. yes, the links are back and the users are very happy.

thanks very much!

cheers
Maureen

2 Likes