Public submitters can not see their encounters

In which Wildbook did the issue occur? Spot A Shark USA

What operating system were you using? (eg. MacOS 10.15.3) unknown

What web browser were you using? (eg. Chrome 79) unknown

What is your role on the site? (admin, researcher, etc) i am an admin reporting on community diver issue

What happened? the email that every submitter gets has a link in it that SHOULD take them to their encounter page. However, this does not happen . They only get to a page that asks them to provide a log in, which we do not give to our submitters. I did a test, and the same thing happened for me when I added a picture from a personal email account. I also tried entering the encoutner number into the search bar, but that did not work either.

What did you expect to happen? bwhen a submitter gets a link, it should take them to their shark record

What are some steps we could take to reproduce the issue? up load a test picture and try the link in the email you get. Don;t use an admin email address of course!

If this is a bulk import report, send the spreadsheet to services@wildme.org with the email subject line matching your bug report

Hi @Carol

Thanks for your feedback. This question was answered recently: Seeing my submission without having an account

In short, encounters do require an account to be viewed but individual pages are public and can be viewed without an account. I’ll look into getting the email template updated to make that distinction clearer.

Using the link to the encounter ID also did not work for me or the diver that has been communicating with me. This used to work, but seems to not work now. I am not sure I explained it very well in my previous email. Happy to jump on a Zoom call to talk through it and share screen to show you if that’s helpful.

Were you logged into Spot-a-Shark under your personal account when you clicked on the encounter link in the email? Or do you mean that you tested it with your personal email as a public submission?

Hi @Carol I’m just following up to see if you still need help with this.

It sounds like you may have tested this as a public user (meaning not logged into your account). If so, not being able to see the encounter is normal, as that would be hidden for security purposes unless you’re logged in.

If you were logged into your account but still couldn’t see the encounter, then that’s something we’ll want to investigate further. I’ve got some availability this week if you’d prefer to talk through it in real time, instead. Let me know!

Thanks for meeting with me today! We have a ticket open for this issue since we determined that public users should at least be able to view the encounters they submitted through the link in their confirmation email: Encounter confirmation emails are the same for registered users and the public · Issue #295 · WildMeOrg/Wildbook · GitHub

I’ll post here when I have any additional updates.

Hi @Carol

Thanks for your patience while we addressed this. Submissions from the public are no longer hidden behind a login, so submitters can view their encounter links from their confirmation emails.