Results page picks bad images to compare with

In which Wildbook did the issue occur? Flukebook

What operating system were you using? (eg. MacOS 10.15.3) Windows 11

What web browser were you using? (eg. Chrome 79) Chrome

What is your role on the site? (admin, researcher, etc) admin

What happened? when in the results page, the image picked to compare against is sometimes a dorsal fin or bad angle fluke, when I know there are excellent flukes of the same individual

What did you expect to happen? It should show a good quality fluke picture from that whale. Its clearly not using the one image that best matched.

What are some steps we could take to reproduce the issue? You can see here: Flukebook The example here I know 5714 (ranked 23rd) has great fluke images, I can see what PIE is matching to make it similar to the candidate image, but instead it shows just an image of a fluke tip to compare against…there are others in this results list that are dorsals although I know there are good fluke images of those individuals.

If this is a bulk import report, send the spreadsheet to services@wildme.org with the email subject line matching your bug report

I don’t think this is a bug. It’s pretty typical for the algorithm to “see” different points of interest in a photo than a human eye would be naturally drawn to and find similarities that don’t appear to be all that similar to us. There’s actually an open feature request related to this: Better reference images in ranked match results