A few random questions

I have a few random questions:

1. How long is the timeout for logins?

2. Are encounter observations exportable? If so where? If not, could they be?

3. Is there a character limit on any of the name fields?

4. Can location IDs be created via bulk import? For example, if someone misspells an existing location ID in a bulk import, does it create a new location ID? The example sighting in ACW was corrected but the user had Africa-South in their spreadsheet instead of Africa - South and it showed up in the location ID list.
    Or, if someone misunderstands the field and uses some pre-existing locations in their dataset, also labelled as “location ID” (because that’s the case with some other ecological software, I’m told), do those become new location IDs? I think the latter example is what happened in Whiskerbook with the long list of CT location IDs.
    If this is the case, I think this should be dealt with as a bug; misspelling the location ID is very easily done and it’s sensitive to case (upper vs lower) as well. And the Whiskerbook example also shows why this should not be possible. Further, there is no way for the user to know that they’ve entered an incorrect location ID which prevents them from knowing why they aren’t getting any matches, or very few.

Thanks!
Maureen

I need more time to collect these answers, but I did want to clarify for this one:

No, if it did, the Location ID menu would be a mess because newer users don’t realize that field has fixed options to enter. I just tested this with a bulk import in ACW and while the fake Location ID was saved to the encounter, it didn’t impact the available menu options on the Submit an encounter page, even after I restarted Tomcat as though I updated the server with a new location:

I can see “test” internally among the list of unmapped locations, but this shouldn’t impact the main menu of available Locations:

I agree with you. We have an open ticket spurred by another Community post related to bulk import not validating all the imported fields: Bulk import does not validate all imported fields · Issue #317 · WildMeOrg/Wildbook · GitHub

I’ve added this post to the ticket so I can update here when the ticket is resolved.

1 Like

Not that I found. I managed to get my test Marked Individual to accept “ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ12345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890” as a name and most of it was hidden behind the image after “WX”. I don’t anticipate most names reaching 20 or more characters, so if a limit exists, we’re unlikely to come across it organically. :sweat_smile:

It doesn’t seem to be. Can you add this as a Feature Request, please? I had assumed if it was data available on an encounter, it was automatically exportable, but that’s not the case.

I’m pretty sure it’s somewhere around 10-15 minutes but I need enough downtime to test this and know for certain.

1 Like

I would like to make the link with the comment of my feature request: “all the data from the encounters should appear in the exports”

I have seen several people who mentioned this or that data that they would like to export, it seems to me that the most effective would be to check the list of fields and add those that are missing in the export, without processing each field case by case.

1 Like

I love that idea, @Lucas. Can you add that to your Feature Request post so @tanyastere can see it when it’s time to review the pending requests? Maureen, feel free to add your support as a comment there instead of making a new post for it; I had forgotten that this request included all possible exportable data.

1 Like

Hi @Anastasia & @lucas - I’ve just added a request for all encounter data points to be included in the standard encounter export to Lucas’ request as suggested: Being able to export the photographer name (and all the data) - #2 by ACWadmin1

@Anastasia - thanks so much for taking the time to go through all of these questions and points, testing and figuring these out for me and the users I’m collecting these questions from. I REALLY appreciate you!!!

Have a great weekend.
Maureen

2 Likes

Following up to let you know according to the code, it’s 5000 seconds. According to Google that’s about 83 minutes.

Lucas helpfully posted a Feature Request for this recently: Add a timeout pop-up